Hi Vito,

English-Japanese and Japanese-English translation are very difficult due to
the grammatical differences between the languages.

You have a couple options to overcome this problem:
1) If you want to use phrase-based Moses, you will have to perform some
variety of pre-ordering, in which you rearrange the words in the source
sentence before training/testing.
2) You can use a syntax-based system, either using the functionality in
Moses (http://www.statmt.org/moses/?n=Moses.SyntaxTutorial), or using
another decoder specifically designed for syntax-based MT such as my
Travatar decoder (http://www.phontron.com/travatar/). I have released the
setup for training our strongest Japanese-English and English-Japanese
systems here: https://github.com/neubig/wat2014

Regarding the different types of characters, I would leave them as-is. It
is possible to perform normalization, which will help in a limited number
of cases, but if you're just starting out this is really the least of your
problems.

Graham