Thanks very, Hieu. This is very helpful.

Kind regards,

Martin

Am 01.12.16 um 17:18 schrieb Hieu Hoang:

Hieu Hoang
http://www.hoang.co.uk/hieu

On 30 November 2016 at 20:39, Martin Wunderlich <mar...@wunderlich.com <mailto:mar...@wunderlich.com>> wrote:

    Hi all,

    I have already searched the documentation and list archives, but I
    haven't been able to retrieve the desired information that way. I have
    three basic questions:
    - What are the recommended and minimum hardware specs for running
    the MT
    engine?

I would personally say the minimum is 8GB RAM and 2 cores. I used to run Moses on a laptop this way, mostly with Europarl-sized data. However, you may need to adjust some settings to make sure it runs as efficiently as possible.

A more reasonable requirement is 32GB RAM and as many cores as you can afford.

The training is mostly parallelizable. mgiza can use a maximum of 8 cores. Phrase-extraction can use as many cores as required. The decoder scales up to ~16 cores. The new decoder (moses2) scales to much more cores.

    - How much effort is it to setup the system when starting from
    scratch?

It takes me about an hour to set up everything from scratch, but then I've done this for 10yrs! It's best to sit with someone who's done it before to go thru it the 1st time.

You can also use
http://www.statmt.org/moses/RELEASE-3.0/vm/
or some of the pre-packaged resources
http://www.statmt.org/moses/?n=Moses.Packages

Make sure you've go thru the tutorial if you haven't already done so:
http://www.statmt.org/moses/?n=Moses.Baseline

    - And finally, how does it compare to other systems (ModernMT,
    Phrasal,
    Apertium) in terms of performance? (I know there is variety of factors
    influencing this, but maybe someone has experience with a comparative
    evaluation of these systems or could point me to some good resources)

I don't know the other systems (I think MMT is a fork of Moses). If you find out more, please let me know

    Thanks a lot.

    Cheers,
    Martin