In observation of our state holiday, the "Opener", I decided to go out and do a little pshishing this weekend. And so, this evening I took a walk along one of the neighbors wooded hunting trails behind our farm. The psishing was great! I had excellent looks at a number of FOY warblers:
American Redstart
Chestnut-sided
Ovenbird
Black and White
Golden-winged
Connecticut
The woods were full of the rich melody of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. A Ruffed Grouse added it's drumming for back beat and in the wetland to the west the resident Sandhills provided their peculiar percussion. I heard several Black-throated Green Warblers high in the tree tops and a Hermit Thrush skulked and complained near a slash pile overrun with Raspberry.

And then,
A Cautionary Tail...
I left the trail to explore a certain poplar stand were I have found morels in years past. After ten minuets of slow methodical searching, executed at something approaching a crouch, my attention was riveted away from the ground by a shadow of movement through the trees. I froze, then slowly came to my feet to meet the gaze of a canine, about 100 feet away through the underbrush. I was being watched. My bins confirmed I was looking at a Coyote, not a Grey Wolf. COOL! I often hear the local pack, but I had never seen them. Then, as I was thinking to myself...pack, they hunt in groups...I heard some twigs snap from another location. The bins came down and I started scanning the woods in all directions. Four, maybe five... on three sides of me that I could see. My guess is they were cruising for newborns. The deer are dropping fawns. The Coyotes were either curious or dead serious. The made no move to depart when I became vertical and human looking. Then I got serious. I stood tall, bark-shouted in a most aggressive manner and took several defiant steps towards the first animal. I'm sure they were perplexed, but they were also persistent. They barely backed off, mostly just shifting positions around the perimeter. I waved my stick, repeated the previous performance, and shook a sapling. The individuals from the rear and right flank swung right to join the front member giving me a clear shot at gaining the trail. They formed a loose group about 50 yards away from me, but still gave no indication that they were fearful of my presence. I moved slowly through the trees, downed timber and saplings as largely and defiantly as could. I stopped several times to turn and survey my back and rattle my stick, though I knew they could easily and silently pull an invisible end-run if they chose to. I made every effort to appear large, strong and unafraid. I made the trail, and home without further incident.

The morel of the story..
when hunting the elusive mushroom, take care you are not picked-off first!

Kelly Larson
The Bagley Farm -Clearwater
The Bemidji Loft -Beltrami
Minnesota