It's again that time of year when the MOU Awards Committee is looking for nominees to be recognized for their contributions to the Minnesota Ornithologists' Union. This annual tradition of recognition takes the form of presenting the Thomas S. Roberts, Bro. Theodore Voelker, and Young Birder awards, with the recipients receiving their award plaques at the December 4, 2010 MOU Papers Session.

Since 1963, the Thomas S. Roberts Award has traditionally been a lifetime achievement award "for outstanding contributions to Minnesota ornithology or birding" (as it reads on the plaque). Previous recipients have contributed to the MOU in many different ways, which were sometimes not directly related to ornithology or birding. Also note that our policy has always been that a person would only receive this award once, although apparently nothing specifically has ever stated this.

The Bro. Theodore Voelker Award is "for special achievement in field ornithology" (as it reads on the plaque) during the past year; the year involved would be November 2009 - October 2010. The original idea in 1988 was that this recipient's achievement would be related to field ornithology in one of three categories: 1) significant bird sighting(s); 2) something written (e.g., a journal article, book, or technical paper); or 3) field research projects. In more recent years, however, involvements in special events, conservation, mentoring, and education have also been included in the criteria for this award.

The Young Birder Award is for someone under 25 years old contributing to knowledge of Minnesota birds or to the MOU. This is our newest award, being first presented in 2005.

Accordingly, please contact me if you have someone in mind for any of these awards, and include his or her qualifications and contributions which you feel would make your nominee a worthy recipient. I would need to receive all nominations no later than October 29, and the committee thanks you in advance for your interest and input in these awards.

Kim R Eckert, Chairman
MOU Awards and Recognition Committee
218 349 5953
ecker...@gmail.com