I was exploring the Mayan ruins of Tikal in Guatemala and there was a group of
green toucans that flew through the courtyard. I never knew that toucans could
be green and it wasn't until much later that I identified them as Emerald
Toucanets. I also saw California Condors soaring over the Grand Canyon before I
became a birder while riding mules up the canyon. The bird that sticks out most
was a Black Oystercatcher that I saw while in Victoria, British Columbia when I
was very young. I had seen them in my parents Peterson guide and thought they
looked so weird. When I actually saw one on the rocky coast I was amazed at
their appearance. Such an orange bill on such a black bird! Very cool!  Jason
CaddySouth minneapolisj.ca...@hotmail.com