I checked Deer Creek, in Wild River State Park, for Wilson's Snipes today and
found 6 over-wintering birds.  Deer Creek is larger, longer, wider, and more
open habitat as compared to Spring Creek, which I reported on last Thursday.
It is spring-fed, shallow, a muddy bottom, and stays ice-free during the
winter.  As such it is home to other birds, including 14 Trumpeter Swans today
(plus geese, robins,...).  Last winter I reported 7 over-wintering snipes in
Deer Creek.  With 6 in Deer Creek and 3 in Spring Creek, I have seen 9
over-wintering snipes in the Park in the past 4 days.

Today's photos at: (In one photo, you can see 3 distant snipes)
http://web.stcloudstate.edu/rjstenseng/Photos/WISN03.jpg
http://web.stcloudstate.edu/rjstenseng/Photos/WISN04.jpg

Wild River State Park is located north of Taylors Falls, MN, on the St. Croix
River.

Rubin Stenseng
Wild River State Park Volunteer
Chisago County, MN