I made my first visit to the Woodson Art Museum on Tuesday on the way back
from MI.  Altho I had known of the bird art there for a long time, I had
never seen it.  It was very worthwhile.

I was lucky to see the 39th annual Birds in Art exhibition 2014, on view
through November 16.  Paintings, sculpture, and paper art occupy several
galleries.  The art is international. There is also a gallery of a selected
Master Wildlife Painter and this year it is Barry Van Dusen, watercolorist.

If you like Owen Gromme's work there is a large room of his paintings too.
He was responsible for organizing the museum.

The museum has ~5000 pieces in its collection including early American bird
painters.  Part of the collection is displayed in a couple rooms.  Several
years of the Birds in Art catalogs are available in the front reception.

There is a special gallery in commemoration of the extinction 100 years ago
of the likely most numerous bird species in the history of earth. It
includes different art works of the passenger pigeon as well as other
extinct, endangered, and threatened birds around the world.

The art work is the best in wildlife art.  If you know wildlife artists, you
will probably find some of their work on the walls of the museum.     I know
that some exhibits at the Bell Museum have included some of the Woodson
collection.

I didn't have time to walk around the large grounds which have many
sculptures and a garden.  The staff are friendly & informative.

****** (maximum) recommend.  free/donations accepted

There is a lot of info on the different pages of the website:

http://www.lywam.org/

Gordon Andersson

St Paul