This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, February 22,
2018 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may
also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Some parts of the northwest have received some snow this week, but in the
far northwest, so far not much has accumulated. There is little evidence of
migration yet, if we don't consider the snowy owls that are undoubtedly
moving north, as we are seeing and hearing of more of them in recent weeks.
This week I have heard of one snowy owl in Pennington, one more in Red Lake,
one in Marshall,  and one in Kittson County . Hoary redpolls were reported
this week in Marshall, Polk, and Hubbard counties.

Ben Stubbs reported a BOREAL OWL  seen and photographed in Roseau County on
February 15. A NORTHERN HAWK OWL  and several groups of SNOW BUNTINGS  were
seen by Shelley Steva and I in the county on February 16.

In Kittson County, Shelley and I found one SNOWY OWL, a NORTHERN SHRIKE, and
SNOW BUNTINGS  on February 16.

John Hess reported a RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD  in Marshall County on February
21.

Here in Pennington County, I had a flock of about fifty BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS
visit the year on February 18. Most of the fruit is now gone, and the
waxwings have moved on.

Shelley Steva found seven GRAY PARTRIDGE  near Brooks in Red Lake County on
February 21.

Sandy Aubol in East Grand Forks , Polk County, reports DARK-EYED JUNCO, and
a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW  at her feeders.

Perry Brown observed a NORTHERN SHRIKE  in his yard in Detroit Lakes, Becker
County on February 15.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjop...@mncable.net <mailto:ajjop...@mncable.net>
OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992.
Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county
where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is
Thursday, March 1, 2018.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN

----