SAX-ZIM CBC results: Tuesday Dec. 17, 2019
Our 34th annual CBC eeked out a slightly above average 31 species.

Highlights included 4 Great Gray Owls (3 on Owl Ave, 1 on Arkola), 24 Evening
Grosbeaks at Sisu feeders on McDavitt, 19 Bald Eagles (only two short of our
all-time record ), 3 Black-backed Woodpeckers, 2 Brown Creepers, 2 Juncos, 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet and a RECORD 13 Northern Shrikes.

Sadly we missed Pine Grosbeak, our first time in 34 years! All winter finches
were in low numbers, but we did find 2 White-winged Crossbills, 9 Common
Redpolls, 4 Pine Siskins, 3 Purple Finches, and 1 American Goldfinch. Other
misses included Boreal Chickadee and Sharp-tailed Grouse.

We had every bit of weather starting with calm cloudy and snowing and 11° in
the morning (our highest temp of the day) and ending with 4° sunny and a very
cold west wind creating below zero windchills.

Thanks to all our hardy participants! Bill Tefft, Susan Meisner, Eileen
Schantz-Hanson, Gene & Julie Ollila, Mark Johnson, Sparky Stensaas, Eric Gdula,
Tony Hertzel, Tommy Hertzel, Lars Benson, Pam Benson, and Dave Steininger.

Sparky Stensaas
2515 Garthus Road
Wrenshall MN 55797
218.341.3350