To MOU Members and Friends:

Our new normal is shaping up to be quickly evolving and stressful.  Most of
us have not been challenged with anything like the current Covid-19
pandemic where this new coronavirus is spreading in the population.
Fortunately, most who are infected have mild or no symptoms.  Older people,
particularly those with a problem such as diabetes, heart disease, lung
disease or an organ transplant are at an increased risk of serious lung
infection and congestion, and breathing problems.  We are being told that
we need to slow the spread of Covid-19 in the population – to ‘flatten the
curve’ – to give hospitals and the health care providers (physicians,
nurses, technicians) the time to care for those who need their care.  Right
now, reducing the chance and rate of exposure to the virus is the only
approach to achieving this.

Self-quarantine and social distancing will help slow virus transmission. In
the meantime, we need something that is positive and up-lifting to manage
our stress about tomorrow and the unknown, and what can be better than
birding.  From our windows or in the outdoors, we love to watch birds
because watching them removes us from current problems and generally makes
us happy.  Looking at birds as they come to our feeders makes us feel good
any time of year.  When we can get outdoors to watch birds, we have the
significant additional benefit of a ‘nature bath’ which many believe
improves our sense of well-being.  Watching birds is an excellent way to
reduce stress. We often go birding in groups, but birding alone or with
another person while maintaining our needed social distancing should make
us feel good and help us manage the stresses of the time.  As MOU
President, I suggest that our love of birds will help us all get through
these changing times, and we are lucky that this is our passion.  Be
healthy and safe, wash your hands, and keep watching.  We will get through
this.

Richard A King, MD, PhD
President, MOU

Professor Emeritus, Medicine