Not all birders are so lucky...

My wife and I are trapped in Peru on what was to be a long birding trip,
but we are becoming increasingly despondent about how we will escape the
draconian Peruvian policies that have literally made us prisoners here.

If you are not aware, Peru slammed its borders shut on March 16th,
preventing new arrivals (understandable), but also preventing foreigners
from getting out (explain that one). They have, at times, refused landing
permission to US planes coming to take people back; the planes turned
around and went home empty. This is coupled with an inept US Embassy that
in the last 13 days has not even gotten half of us out. Last week we were
denied entry on a plane that would fly to Miami with 33% of the seats empty
when it left. Why? Because manifests cannot be altered that soon to takeoff
for some red tape reason. It didn't matter that this is an emergency.

We too are all for doing what we can to fight the spread of the virus, but
not every government reacts in an appropriate manner. The restrictions in
Peru are getting scary and dangerous.... there is another man here in
Iquitos, a diabetic, that needs to get home soon. The Peruvian government
is not concerned about his plight, and he has already been overlooked by
the US Embassy when they accidentally left him off the manifest. The cure
in Peru may be as bad as the disease, for some...

We are trying to bird to keep our sanity, but we may soon be confined to
our room, while being in the middle of a birding paradise that we cannot
explore, because going outside for a walk is technically illegal now.
Police are to stop you and check reciepts to verify that you only went out
for essentials. It will be this way, or worse, at least until April 12,
when the lockdown ends or is extended. It has already been extended once.

I have for several days hesitated about posting this here, but I want to
try to bring to light some of the effects of certain COVID-19 reactions on
birding that people may not be aware of. I am concerned about how many
eco-lodges and guides here in Peru may soon be out of business and how the
economy of eco-tourism is going to be damaged due to the incredible
extremity of the martial law measures taken here, and the ugly after
effects. This place is going to have a black eye and few future visitors
when it becomes more widely realized just how overboard they are going...

My updates:

https://legallyblindbirding.net/2020/03/28/stuck-in-peru-day-15/

Michael Hurben
Bloomington