A couple of thoughts from  experiences long ago.
The first osprey I saw carrying a fish was during college years. Against a
cloudless blue sky, the osprey beat nestward with a gorgeous, shiny
goldfish, 2/3 the length of the bird. I know from spring birding on
the south shore of Lake Erie that the first generation from goldfish
innocently released into the wild when no longer wanted by their 'owners'
are gold in color. After that they look just like they are, carp. The
entertainment along the shore was the thrashing of spawning carp pairs with
one gold the other grungy browns - muddy watr flew in all directions, the
splash sounds audible all around birdwatchers entranced by the
migration gathering prior to crossing the lake.
Koi also are carp.
Visit to a southeast Asian grocery may introduce you to a staple food.
Chase