From: Tami Vogel <tvo...@wrcmn.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2020, 4:47 PM
To: Brian Tennessen
Subject: Re: [mou-net] PAINTED REDSTART RAMSEY COUNTY

Hi everyone,

What a remarkable opportunity to see such a gorgeous bird. There is one hanging
out right now in the Outer Banks as well.

>From a personal standpoint I'm kicking myself that I'm up at our cabin right
>now.

>From a professional standpoint, it could have gotten caulk or tar on its feet,
>we think it's far too much to be scale but it's hard to see from photos. We
>see this periodically in birds.

If it is some foreign substance, we can do our best to remove it but - keep in
mind that we cannot, per regs, release a bird with a missing foot.

So, if the toes or the lower legs are necrotic we would euthanize it.

I want everyone aware of this while making a decision about what to do.

If that was the case - that the feet were dying/dead, the odds of the bird
surviving the winter would be slim, but all the same you'll need to weigh out
the pros/cons of letting it live out its life or bringing it in to see if can
be helped.

Fingers crossed we can help it, but keep in mind the entire picture.

In the meantime if someone has heated baths in the area the bird might use them
- maybe the material will soften and break off.

Feel free to contact me via email off-list if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Tami Vogel
Communications Director
Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota
www.wrcmn.org<http://www.wrcmn.org>
www.facebook/WRCMN<http://www.facebook/WRCMN>
Twitter/IG @WRCMN