Hey birders,

We had a couple of highlights at the Bethany Hawkwatch today that are worth
mentioning.  First, we had awesome looks at an adult Golden Eagle passing
over the Bethany campus in Mankato.  This is the earliest we have ever
recorded this species in the fall by nearly a month.  Jim Amundson and I
also enjoyed a low altitude dark-phase Harlan’s Red-tail that came up out
of the valley and stayed overhead while it gained altitude.  Its dirty
white tail and white streaks on an otherwise dark breast made it quite
obvious and it was our first of the fall as well.  We are approaching 7,000
birds for our fall count and season totals can be seen at

Happy birding!

Chad Heins

*Chad Heins*

Assistant Professor of Biology

Bethany Lutheran College

700 Luther Drive

Mankato, MN 56001

Office: 507.344.7327  | Toll Free: 800.944.3066

chad.he...@blc.edu| www.blc.edu