Duane wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I definitely feel better about installing software signed by
someone
> > whose identity I know. The authentication of the software
publisher,
> > signing of the software, and revocation status checking of the
> > publisher's certificate can mitigate significant risk.
>
> If you know the person or company issuing the signed code this causes

> the CA and PKI systems to be irrelevant, all you need to do is check
the
> fingerprints of the company signing it. PKI/CAs are supposed to allow

> you to trust formerly unknown parties trust each other.

One role of a CA is to authenticated unknown parties (software
publishers in this discussion) as their proper legal entity. If I know
the publisher that may assure me to install and trust the software (or
not!). If I don't yet know the publisher I can still know that they are
being honest about what the software does (given a CA policy that
requires proper disclosure) and I feel assured that I have recourse
against the publisher if they harm me.

--
My post and comments may represent my personal thoughts at the moment
but they should not be taken to represent anyone else.