Ram0502 wrote:
> I'd like to see an indication of what information the
> CA is prepared to defend and to what extend they are
> making that assurance on identity (e.g. we assure you
> this is IBM, NY, US and provide warranty as follows)
> as well as some indication for signed software as to
> any policy they may have arround appropriate use such
> as requireing up front disclosure about what the
> software does.

Of the CAs whose CP and CPS I've read, they all severely limit their
liability and provide little-to-no warranty at all.  There may be some CAs
out there that do strongly warrant their identity proofing (note the use of
the word strongly), but they have no incentive to do so.   Digital Signature
Trust Co. used to warrant it's SSL server certificates and also warranted
its TrustID client certificates for a significant amount of money, but from
what I've heard they no longer do so.  My guess as to why would be because
they couldn't sell enough certificates (at whatever price the market would
bear) to pay for the insurance premiums that are necessitated by such a
warranty.  It seems like people won't pay for warrantees unless the pain of
not having one becomes worth the cost a warranty incurs on the system.

I have yet to see *any* CA require disclosure by a customer applying for a
code signing cert about what the software does.  If there was such a CA then
it wouldn't make sense for the CA to issue them a cert that could be used
over and over again to sign thousands of applications.  It would make more
sense for the CA to simply sign the *one* application they required
disclosure for and never give a customer a private key/cert capable of
signing code that wasn't part of the CA's code review process.

-alex