Frank Hecker wrote:
> Nelson B wrote:
> > AFAIK, there's no uniform standard for classes.
> Correct AFAIK, although there are some sort-of conventions (e.g., "class
1" = minimal validation, e.g., via email, > "class 4" = use of hardware
tokens). Although of course this "sort-of" standardization is exactly what
has plagued > PKI from the very beginning (e.g., the proliferation of
similar but not identical certificate profiles).

In the Federal and State/Local Government PKI implementations there has been
and currently is a strong requirement for this type of certificate assurance
level.  In at least 4 implementations that I'm aware of, they use the exact
same levels of certs (that also map to private key storage medium BTW):

Low Assurance - Identity verified via electronic means (email address,
databases), private key stored in software.

Medium Assurance - Identity verified using in-person methods (photo ID check
by either an RA or by a Notary Public), private key stored in software.

High Assurance - Identity verified using in-person methods (photo ID check),
private key stored in hardware (Smart Card or USB token).

They signify the assurance level by the CertificatePolicy OID, but
unfortunately, they all use a different set of 3 OIDs to represent
low/med/high.  They then leave it up to the owners of a relying application
to enforce which policy level is acceptable for their particular
application.  Seems like a logical fit for what we're talking about here,
except there needs to be a standard set of CP OIDs for the assurance levels,
and there needs to be checks and balances in the system to ensure that CAs
asserting the CP OID are really performing the appropriate levels of I&A
(identification & authentication).

-Alex