"Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T." wrote:

> jesus X wrote:
> >
> > "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T." wrote:
> > >
> > > WOW!!!! We have a genious in our midst! Anyone that can understand Unix
> > > and Windows. Plus experince the joy of using Mac as well.  Must be up
> > > there with Einstein!!
> >
> > The only part I'm missing is the joy of the MacOS part. I can use it, and can
> > understand some of it's advantages over most x86 operating systems, I just don't
> > ENJOY using it. I feel too confined and protected in it.
> >
> > As I've said though, Mac OS X changes all that. I LIKE Mac OS X.
> >
> > --
> > jesus X  [ Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism. ]
> >  email   [ jesusx @ who.net ]
> >  web     [ http://burntelectrons.com ] [ Updated April 29, 2001 ]
> >  tag     [ The Universe: It's everywhere you want to be. ]
> >  warning [ All your base are belong to us. ]
>
> That's one of the things I've liked the Mac system "up until OS-X" is
> that you can't wipe out all the contents of the hard drive you are
> working on by accident. It has to be a deliberate act.

OS X lets you wipe out your root drive accidentally?  Wowzers.

> You must boot either from system CD or another Hard Drive to do so.
>
> On windows use of the Init C: command and poof! all the contents is
> unceremoniously wiped off the face of the startup up drive.

AFAIK, and IK quite a bit, there is no "Init" command on Windows.
You're probably thinking of format or fdisk or something, both of which
go to great pains to make sure you really want to do what you say you
want to do.  And on NT/2000, you'll get nowhere trying to do so from
anything other than an admin acct.

And for the record, I've never once accidentally wiped out the contents
of any drive, root or otherwise, on any Windows system.  I know of
nobody who's done so.

> On Unix its my understanding you have to login is root first before you
> can do the same thing. Although I have 18 years experience on Computers
> PC's and Mac's. I am still human and could accidently do something
> wrong. So I like a system that attempts to save me from myself.

So after you've accidentally brought up a command.com and accidentally
typed "format c:", you then accidentally answer "yes" to the question
"Do you really want to format your root partition?"?  I think you'd
better stay away from computers altogether Phil.

> When I first started out I was uncomfortable mucking around in
> programing in DOS even creating autoexec.bat and config.sys files.
>
> Despite my ablities in Electronics and Hardware repair. I always felt
> inadaquate trying frograming even in the mildest of Basic. I always felt
> that people that had those abilities were more of the MIT types.

Not sure what any of that has to do with an illogical love of the Mac.