The XSLT is run but you output xml in the null namespace. So the
result-document are not interpreted as html at all, but rather as plain XML.

To fix this either change

<xsl:output method="xml">

<xsl:output method="html"/>
or
<xsl:output/> (autodetect will do the trick for you)

to output html. Or add an
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
attribute in the top to the root element which will make you output xhtml.

Oh, and you should probably do something about that encoding="ascii"
attribute. I'm not sure there is such an encoding, and IE doesn't seem to
like it. (mozilla doesn't use the encoding attribute since we output a tree)

/ Jonas Sicking