In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Roope Lehmuslehto wrote:
> Andreas R wrote:
>> IE always consumes your memory, since it's integrated with Windows.
>> IF you use Quick Launch, then at least it's your own choice if you want to.
>
> Hmm, I meant that when Quick Launch enabled, Mozilla should
> forced to keep in memory no matter what.

well i certainly wouldn't like it to do that.  i guess it could be an
option - it would just need the quick launch applet to actually be active
in the background and touch all the code that's remaining loaded to
ensure it remains in.

i can't see the logic in doing that though... if you have, say, 96Mb
RAM, and 32Mb is used by windows, a further 32Mb is used by mozilla, and
then you load diablo, if you then force mozilla (and of course windows)
to remain loaded, then you end up trying to run diablo in only 32Mb of
RAM, which means bits of diablo will be continually paged in and out and
the game will be unplayable.

the amount of RAM is limited, something will have to be paged out to
disk.  surely it's better to have windows page out the stuff you're not
using, rather than have it page out the stuff you are actually running?

if you don't want anything paged, then you'll need to have enough RAM to
ensure that nothing is forced out.

--
michael