Chris Hoess wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
>> In mozilla (since 0.9.6) I am unable to use the quote symbol, it
>> always comes out a question mark. In the subject of this post I hit
>> the single quote and somebody made that &#65533; When I hit the key it
>> was a question mark. Yet in the same X console this works with 4.79.
>> Where do I look to fix this?
>
> I have no idea what that's supposed to represent.  All HTML 4 numeric
> character references (things that begin with "&#" and end with ";") refer
> to Unicode, so the single closing quote/apostrophe is "&#8217;".  This
> reference has no meaning outside of an HTML/XML context (i.e., in
> text/plain documents).

I think this is something to do with pages encoded using Windows-1252.
With character coding set to ISO-8859-1 or -15 I frequently see
IE-specific pages with a ? where there should be an apostrophe
(single-quote). It is, AFAIK, what Windows calls "smart quotes", or
rather a *mis* use of these (since they are being used as quotes.

I also see an apostrophe as Z-umlaut in messages in these NGs posted by
some Germans

--
"I would rather gnaw my leg off, pack the bleeding stump with salt,
  and run in a circle on broken glass than have to deal with any

Anti-spam e-mail address, change _AT_, sorry for the inconvenience