Lee Reese wrote:
> I reviewed the MLP, which is very broad in scope for the purposes of
> utilizing the source code for copying, modifying, and distribution
> purposes.  However, the MLP does not address the use of object code for
> internal development purposes only. Please advise.  Thanks.  Lee

A licensor of MPLed code (e.g., IBM) has unlimited rights to use and
modify the code under MPL Sections 2.1 and 2.2; this includes internal
use and modification. The question is, are there any MPL requirements
tied specifically to internal-only use and modification? My belief is
that there are not.

The MPL requirements for notification, etc., are associated with
"distribution" of code, whether in source or object form. See for
example Section 3.1 re source code ("The Source Code version of Covered
Code may be distributed only under the terms of this License ...") and
Section 3.6 re object code ("You may distribute Covered Code in
Executable form only if the requirements of Section 3.1-3.5 have been
met ..."). The basic policy is "If you distribute the code, then this is
what you must do."

If an organization (e.g., IBM) is the licensor of the code, then IMO
"distribution" in the context of the MPL means "distribution outside the
organization", e.g., outside IBM in your context. Many people, including
me, would argue that if you do not distribute MPLed code outside your
own organization then the requirements in MPL Sections 3.1 through 3.7
do not apply to you.

But note that I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. If you
want real legal advice then you should speak to one of IBM's own
lawyers. There are IBM people like Michael Kaply <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> who
may be able to refer you to someone.

Frank
--
Frank Hecker            work: http://www.collab.net/