Ben Ruppel wrote:

> I would like to know exactly what compact folders does to IMAP folders.
>  It suggests there is no dataloss, but there has to be some tradeoff.
> Anyone know?  Does it interfere with use of Webmail with the same mailbox?

I had Mozilla using my Exchange mailbox as IMAP. When I deleted a
message in Mozilla, it still appeared in Outlook. However, when I
compacted the folder, the message disappeared. There's a setting to move
deleted items to the trash or just delete them now. The latter would, I
assume, mark the message as deleted then compact the folder.

It all comes from the way Unix mail programs store mail. A mail "folder"
is really a giant text file. When you delete an item, it marks it as
deleted (in the message header) and copies it to the trash "folder".
Compacting folders removes all "deleted" messages.

--
                                                     \|/
                                                    (o o)