J. Wren Hunt wrote:

Ian G wrote:

|<snip> I recently installed a good cert into my Thunderbird and I
| still cannot send out signed or encrypted email using S/MIME (I forget
| why).

Are you being facetious here?

Nope, I tried to get it going a couple of weeks ago, and the interface has too many barriers in it.

Here's some quick gumbie notes dashed off, as I
try again.

For encryption, just now I tried again, and I
may have figured out the problem:  it requires
me to select a certificate, which wasn't
obvious the first time I went through the various
dialogues;  it should just automatically select
the one cert that is there (actually it should
automatically create, sign and select a cert on
install time .. but that's another debate).

Now that I've selected the cert, it gives me
two options on the Account Settings dialog:

   Never use encryption, and
   Required.

Well, neither of those are going to work and
when I saw that the first time I was mystified
why such a choice existed.  What's wrong with

   encrypt when possible;
   encrypt to whom possible?

So it now occurs to me that this cannot be
all there is to it, and clicking on this email's
Security padlock reveals ... recipient certs,
which is a big suprise!  Nice.

But, in Options/Security I found a menu that
gave options to encrypt and to sign.  They need
to be on the chrome somewhere, imho.

So I guess the thing is to set the default in
Edit / Account Settings / [EMAIL PROTECTED] /
Security / Encryption to say Never and then to
override that by clicking the Options/Security/
Encrypt each time?

In summary,

   1. it should create and select a cert on
       install.
   2. it should select or offer selection when
       a new signed cert on install.
   3. it should encrypt when it can, and
       offer an option to encrypt partially
       when it can't encrypt to all.
   4. there should be a big fat SEND&SIGN
       button next to Send.
   5. there should be a "valid" indicator
       next to each of the recipients, as
       well as an "no cert" for those who
       aren't known.

All, IMHO, second attempt impressions.

For signatures, that's less interesting to me,
but I'll try to sign this email, and if that
works, it will be because the Cert was not
selected.

    6.  It would be nice if the From bar where
        to go blue like Firefox.  The little
        pen (is it?) at the bottom right is too
        small to notice.
    7.  Is there any way to attach a statement
        to the signature indicating what it
        means?  What does it mean?

iang
--
News and views on what matters in finance+crypto:
        http://financialcryptography.com/