Ian G wrote:

Right.  And now we reach a big philosophical
issue for Mozilla, which has been mooted upon
in these very pages of late.

Who is Mozilla for?  Who is Tbird courting?

If it's the average user a.k.a. Joe Sixpack,
then we have one way of looking at how to
secure his traffic.

If it's Terry Techie, then we might expect
him to learn the steps, the model, the customs.

But not Joe & Josephine Mixed Dozen.

Now, I'm assuming the 'average user', because
that's what I was told, and it's unfair to anyone
to flip back and forth in a conversation.  But,
I do recognise that ... this has created a very
big tension, especially in places like S/MIME,
where the setup assumes Terry Techie, and Terry
is quite happy with the product as it is.

I agree. I think the answer is: both. Most of our users are Joe, but most of our developers are Terry. So we get this odd mix.

My proposed solution:  modal behavior.

Out of the box, it's geared to Joe.
But Terry finds the button in the prefs to enable "advanced" mode.

--
Nelson B