Tyler Close wrote:

> In this case, a user study shows that your instincts for what are
> needed in an anti-phishing tool were wrong. It's OK to admit begin

What is really needed and what the users, and web designers are going to
accept and what the users are going to effectively use are different
things. Hopefully we'll be able to merge them.

I don't think user input is an absolute requirement. I think there are
ways to solve this problem without user input, but I also think it is
going to be harder doing it without user input than with user input. I
gave an example of this kind of thing in an earlier message (random
watermark for chrome).

IFF studies will show that it is easy to train users to use input
methods, and that the majority of all the browser users will use them, I
will admit that a method not requiring user input is not needed. Until
then, I will maintain my position that no input methods would be better
than methods that require input.

PS. This will be my last message on this for a month or so due to other
commitments. Please do not CC my personal email address. I will read the
newsgroup to catch up when I have the time.

--
  Heikki Toivonen