In the last episode (Nov 14), Greg Wooledge said:
> Dan Nelson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > Unfortunately, ogg is no good for streaming, as its minimum bitrate
> > is 64k.
>
> That's completely untrue.  I've heard of people producing Vorbis
> bitstreams as low as 5 kbps (of course, this is a degenerate case and
> is obviously not very good quality).
>
> The same methods of reducing bitrate that work in MP3 work in Vorbis
> as well.  Reduce the sampling rate, reduce the number of channels,
> reduce the quality.

I guess the problem might be oggenc's option parser, then.  Given a
stereo 22050hz input file, I can't seem to get oggenc to encode less
than 22kbits.  The lowest bitrate it will allow on the commandline (for
22050hz/2ch input) is -b 30, but if you also add -M 1, it will generate
a file with an average bitrate of 22.  -m and -M seem to be "hints",
and not absolute constraints.  If you add -q -1 to the commandline, it
apparently ignores -b, -m and -M and creates a 33kbit output file.
There doesn't seem to be a way to get any lower than 22kbit, no matter
how hard you try, without dropping down to a 11Khz sample rate.

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]