In the last episode (Jan 29), Michelangelo Nottoli said:

> >>I suggest to use the defines FOPEN and _LARGEFILE_SOURCE
>
> I checked : _LARGEFILE_SOURCE is defined under Sun all right.
> I am very ignorant on other 64 bit systems though.

Autoconf already knows about most OSes and whether they need special
flags.  From my recollection, Linux and Solaris need _FILE_OFFSET_BITS
and _LARGEFILE_SOURCE, AIX needs _LARGE_FILES, *BSD and Tru64 don't
need anything.  Just add this to configure.in, and you'll transparently
support them all automatically.

AC_SYS_LARGEFILE

If the sources include config.h after system headers (it's supposed to
be the very first thing included, but people sometimes forget), you may
need to following also, to add the flags to CFLAGS:

if test $ac_cv_sys_file_offset_bits != no; then
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=$ac_cv_sys_file_offset_bits"
else
if test $ac_cv_sys_largefile_source != no; then
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE"
fi
if test $ac_cv_sys_large_files != no; then
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -D_LARGE_FILES=$ac_cv_sys_large_files"
fi
fi

--
        Dan Nelson