Marty, unfortunately, there's not much you can do since the recording itself
was low quality. 22KHz should have been OK for voice, but looks like the mic
was placed badly
or the acoustics of your room/hall was not the best.
Your best bet would be to forget about lame for the moment and try out with
some audio
tools like audacity. Keep a copy of the original recording and play around
with some noise
cancellation, filtering etc. to see what sounds best.