Hello Andrea,

I’m not 100% sure, so please correct me if I’m wrong.
By introducing the line defect you keep the translational symmetry along one
axis, the direction of the line. E.g. if you remove one rod with its axis along
the x-axis, k_x still remains conserved.
So I guess you should project the band diagram on that axis, having bands as
omega(k_x). Of course I used k_x in terms of Cartesian coordinates, not the
reciprocal ones. But you can do the transformation between both basis by MPB
anyway.
For a general example of the projected band diagram in 3D PhC I would recommend
Chapter 6 in Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of
Light<http://ab-initio.mit.edu/book/> by John D. Joannopoulos, Steven G.
Johnson, Joshua N. Winn, and Robert D. Meade, but I guess you already had a
look for that. A specific projected band diagram of a silicon woodpile can be
found in the following:

Isabelle Staude, Christopher McGuinness, Andreas Frölich, Robert L. Byer, Eric
Colby, and Martin Wegener, "Waveguides in three-dimensional photonic bandgap
materials for particle-accelerator on a chip architectures," Opt. Express 20,
5607-5612 (2012)

I hope I could help!

Best regards,
Max