My system is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on an Intel Core2 Duo U9300 CPU.  I am trying to
install mpir 3.0.0.  I already installed Yasm and it passed "make check".  Yasm
was installed in the default directory /usr/local/bin.  I tried

./configure --with-yasm=/usr/local/bin/yasm

However, this step terminated prematurely (I would assume) because no Makefile
was generated, meaning I couldn't proceed with make, make check, and make
install.

While I tried the configure step above, I got the following information on the
screen.  I don't know where it went wrong and why.  Please help.  Thanks.

checking build system type... penryn-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... penryn-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking ABI=64
checking compiler gcc -m64 ... yes
checking compiler gcc -m64  -O2... yes
checking compiler gcc -m64 -O2  -march=core2... yes
checking compiler gcc -m64 -O2 -march=core2  -mtune=core2... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... yes
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking minix/config.h usability... no
checking minix/config.h presence... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO Standard C... (cached) none needed
checking build system compiler gcc... yes
checking for build system preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for build system executable suffix...
checking whether build system compiler is ANSI... yes
checking for build system compiler math library... -lm
Checking yasm...
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking C++ compiler g++  -m64 -O2 -march=core2 -mtune=core2... yes
using ABI="64"
      CC="gcc"
      CFLAGS="-m64 -O2 -march=core2 -mtune=core2"
      CPPFLAGS=""
      CXX="g++"
      CXXFLAGS="-m64 -O2 -march=core2 -mtune=core2"
      MPN_PATH=" x86_64/core2/penryn x86_64/core2 x86_64 generic"
checking for ar... ar
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
checking how to print strings... printf
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 1572864
checking whether the shell understands some XSI constructs... yes
checking whether the shell understands "+="... yes
checking how to convert penryn-unknown-linux-gnu file names to
penryn-unknown-linux-gnu format... func_convert_file_noop
checking how to convert penryn-unknown-linux-gnu file names to toolchain
format... func_convert_file_noop
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for objdump... objdump
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for dlltool... no
checking how to associate runtime and link libraries... printf %s\n
checking for archiver @FILE support... @
checking for strip... strip
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for sysroot... no
checking for mt... mt
checking if mt is a manifest tool... no
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for objdir... .libs
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if g++ static flag -static works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... (cached) GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking fenv.h usability... yes
checking fenv.h presence... yes
checking for fenv.h... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking float.h usability... yes
checking float.h presence... yes
checking for float.h... yes
checking langinfo.h usability... yes
checking langinfo.h presence... yes
checking for langinfo.h... yes
checking locale.h usability... yes
checking locale.h presence... yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking nl_types.h usability... yes
checking nl_types.h presence... yes
checking for nl_types.h... yes
checking sys/mman.h usability... yes
checking sys/mman.h presence... yes
checking for sys/mman.h... yes
checking sys/param.h usability... yes
checking sys/param.h presence... yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking sys/processor.h usability... no
checking sys/processor.h presence... no
checking for sys/processor.h... no
checking sys/pstat.h usability... no
checking sys/pstat.h presence... no
checking for sys/pstat.h... no
checking sys/sysinfo.h usability... yes
checking sys/sysinfo.h presence... yes
checking for sys/sysinfo.h... yes
checking sys/systemcfg.h usability... no
checking sys/systemcfg.h presence... no
checking for sys/systemcfg.h... no
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking sys/times.h usability... yes
checking sys/times.h presence... yes
checking for sys/times.h... yes
checking for sys/resource.h... yes
checking for sys/sysctl.h... yes
checking whether fgetc is declared... yes
checking whether fscanf is declared... yes
checking whether optarg is declared... yes
checking whether ungetc is declared... yes
checking whether vfprintf is declared... yes
checking whether sys_errlist is declared... yes
checking whether sys_nerr is declared... yes
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for intmax_t... yes
checking for uintmax_t... yes
checking for long double... yes
checking for long long... yes
checking for ptrdiff_t... yes
checking for quad_t... yes
checking for uint_least32_t... yes
checking for preprocessor stringizing operator... yes
checking for working volatile... yes
checking whether <stdarg.h> exists and works... yes
checking whether gcc __attribute__ ((const)) works... yes
checking whether gcc __attribute__ ((malloc)) works... yes
checking whether gcc __attribute__ ((mode (XX))) works... yes
checking whether gcc __attribute__ ((noreturn)) works... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking for cos in -lm... yes
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca (via gmp-impl.h)... yes
checking how to allocate temporary memory... alloca
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking format of `double' floating point... IEEE little endian
checking for alarm... yes
checking for attr_get... no
checking for clock... yes
checking for clock_gettime... yes
checking for cputime... no
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for getrusage... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for getsysinfo... no
checking for localeconv... yes
checking for memset... yes
checking for mmap... yes
checking for nl_langinfo... yes
checking for obstack_vprintf... yes
checking for popen... yes
checking for processor_info... no
checking for pstat_getprocessor... no
checking for raise... yes
checking for read_real_time... no
checking for syssgi... no
checking for strchr... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking for strnlen... yes
checking for strtol... yes
checking for strtoul... yes
checking for sysconf... yes
checking for sysctl... yes
checking for sysctlbyname... no
checking for times... yes
checking for mprotect... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking whether vsnprintf works... yes
checking whether sscanf needs writable input... no
checking for struct pst_processor.psp_iticksperclktick... no
checking sstream usability... yes
checking sstream presence... yes
checking for sstream... yes
checking for std::locale... yes
checking for suitable m4... configure: error: No usable m4 in $PATH or
/usr/5bin (see config.log for reasons).