I don't think an ordinance would be too difficult to craft, although the
liability issue may rest at the state level.  It seems clear to me that a good
way to approach the issue is to hold the company advertising responsible.  If
they have a contract with the agency that posts the signs, then the contract
should contain a clause requiring that the signs be posted only where legal.  If
the agency doesn't know who their "jobbers" are, then they are liable, period.
The fine should be high enough that it offsets any revenue gained by the
infraction (sometimes it's cheaper in terms of fines for companys to break laws
and pay fines instead of going to the expense of compliance with the laws).

The other side of this equation is to create a space for flyers to be posted -
the kiosks in public spaces that one finds in some other cities and in Europe
are a great approach.  There are actually some kiosks in some metro shopping
areas.

Personally, I want to have a chance to see whatever may be advertised (bands,
clubs, etc - less interested in fad diets), but in an ordered manner that
doesn't pollute the aesthetics of our environment.

In the meantime, until the laws are changed or enforceable, we should all be
encouraged not only to remove these signs, but to follow up with a call to the
advertised number (if it isn't a 900 number) to tell them that we don't
appreciate their pollution and have removed the signs on behalf of the
understaffed (I assume it would take infinite staff to do this all over the
city) Regulatory Services Dept., and give them the number of Reg Services if
they have any questions about the laws they have broken.

David PIehl
Central

"Young, Susan A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 03/22/2001 12:07:40 PM