[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I promise the list members (and Mr. Atherton) that I won't bait him any more
> by saying that he relishes attention. And I'll leave the heroism of his posts
> to the judgment of others.

A promise in the first sentence and bait in the second.  I'm not sure what
the source of the reference to "heroism" is.  Possibly, it was my citing
"Paths of Glory."  Of course, if you've seen this film you'll know that
the theme is not heroism.  I can also assure you that being a hero
to members of the list-sever does not particularly interest me.  I believe
that like many other posters, that access to the powers-that-be is what
most attracts me.

> I have done more than wonder why the graduation rate of the MPS is no more
> than 50 percent: I have identified what I believe to be a few root causes,
> including lack of affordable housing causing transiency, the cultural
> adjustment of immigration, the stresses and deficiencies associated with
> poverty.

You have identified problems, but have not proposed solutions.

> Mr. Atherton seems to believe these are not as germane to public
> school failure as is a self-perpetuating and inefficient bureaucracy staffed
> by incredibly cynical people out to save their own jobs at the cost of young
> peoples' education. I'll leave it to list members to determine whose
> viewpoint is more credible.

Of course culture, home environment, and poverty are germane to the
failure of the public schools.  However, since it is unlikely that
we'll be solving poverty any time soon, I think that we should
focus on more practical solutions.

I, as well, will leave it to list members to decide if the public schools
are self-perpetuating and ineffective bureaucracies.  Contrary to what
Ms. Robson "seems" to think that I believe, I do think that there are
many incredibly skilled and dedicated individuals working in the public
schools.  However, the philosophical view that the earth was flat, did
not aid in the discovery of the Americas.  Neither has progressive
educational philosophy helped educators effectively teach children.
Many teachers and parents are not even aware of the philosophical
assumptions underlying instructional practices.  This is understandable
in the case of teachers, because many teaching colleges do not even
require students to take classes in the philosophy of education.  Teacher
programs are more indoctrination, than education.

> Mr. Atherton does get somewhat specific in his explanation of continuation
> schools, but blithely states that because the kids fall under what would be
> classified as special education, then extra federal dollars would be
> forthcoming to pay for it. Right now, under the federal IDEA legislation for
> special education, the feds are supposed to be picking up 40 percent of the
> costs for their mandates. The actual federal dollars for these mandates
> amounts to only 15 percent of the cost. (I got my info from Nancy Reder at
> the National Association of State Directors of Special Education, Inc.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] And I won't even charge Mr. Atherton for the link!) Any of
> the self-serving education professionals Mr. Atherton decries will tell him
> that lack of federal monies for federal mandates is creating huge funding
> problems for the MPS and other schools. In other words, his solution isn't
> that simple.

I would agree that at the implementation level my solutions are probably
not that simple, however they are practical and doable.  In regards to
continuation classes and special education, I am well aware of the shortfall
in Federal funds for special education program.  However the 15% support
does exist.  The question is what is the difference in salaries between special
education teachers and mainstream teachers?  And, as I pointed out in
my previous post removing problem kids from regular classes will allow
funds to be shifted to continuation classes.

> List members are probably growing weary of this back and forth between Mr.
> Atherton and me--I think our areas of disagreement are pretty well stated.
> Any specific responses he wants to make to this post are welcome by me, and
> for my part will represent the last word on this particular thread.

I hope that list members are not weary of this discussion, because the
public schools are still there, and failing, and making little meaningful
progress.

Michael Atherton
Prospect Park