I apologize that I continue to have to write this same email every time Carol Becker rolls out the tired and disproved assertion that Sandra Colvin Roy was not an enthusiastic supporter for public funding of the stadium. Ms. Colvin Roy can change her positions during the campaign to match the prevailing public opinion and desperately distance herself from the disgraced city leadership -- but despite Carol Becker's best attempt -- she can not change her votes.
And filing legal complaints against courageous citizens who dare to participate in the electoral process in a thinly veiled attempt to silence them will not change the record. Or keep the record from speaking. I believe the public record has proven Ms. Becker incorrect; Her position ignores the council's debate during their consideration of Resolution 99R-230, Her position ignores the public reporting on the stadium issue in the Star Tribune on June 12, 1999 Her position ignores the public reporting on Resolution 99R-230 in the Star Tribune on June 26, 1999, Her position ignores the public statement of Ms. Colvin Roy's peers description of the resolution, Her position ignores the City leadership's documented use of the resolution in their pro-Stadium lobbying efforts, Her position ignores the public use of the resolution by pro-stadium legislature to show Minneapolis' support, And their public recognition at the legislature last week that of the 7 misguided council members that voted for the stadium only 3 of them remain on the council -- and the other 4 were not replaced with council members that support using public dollars to subsidize corporate baseball. But what should be the most upsetting to the members of this list is that Ms. Becker has chosen to initiative futile legal action in an attempt to silence her oponents. In a classic corporate strategy called a "SLAP" lawsuits, she made a request to her friends at the county attorney's office (whose leadership was very public supports of the disgraced city leadership) to "investigate" the matter. And then innocently said she has been subpoenaed to testify. She tells us what will happen to the people who dared challenge her candidates voting record if they were found guilty. It should send shivers through anyone writing a post on this list to know that one of our members is scanning the content to support her "SLAP" lawsuit. Too bad there isn't accountability for those who leverage political relationships to inhibit free speech. Sincerely, Joseph Barisonzi Ward 10, Lyndale PS: For the record, while I am the co-chair of "A City for Neighbors" I have not been called in front of any Grand Jury to provide testimony about our documentation of the city council votes in the "A City for Neighbors" report card. I am confident of the legal counsel we received before publishing the report card, and I am confident that the content of the report card will continue to stand up to any review. I am outraged that a candidate who appropriately used the publically available material documented in the report card is being called before a Grand Jury. Over 2 years ago when the "A City for Neighbors" process began, all the political spinmisters said that the mayor and city leadership had a smooth sailing to victory -- now every single one of the councilmembers who scored a 0% on the report card were defeated. I am proud that the Report Card played a role in this unbelievable victory for people who believe the city should be investing in housing working families rather than billionaires' sports teams. _______________________________________ Minneapolis Issues Forum - A Civil City Civic Discussion - Mn E-Democracy Post messages to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe, Unsubscribe, Digest option, and more: http://e-democracy.org/mpls
