"could that have had anything to do with it?"
In a word, maybe.
Some years ago, my next door neighbor kicked in my door  at 18th ave. and 26th st. and
stole about
$5,000.oo worth of recording equipment. If I'm not mistaken, that would be felony
burglary.
The man's footprint was on the door, it was a very clear impression from a brand new
shoe. The same
footprints led directly to his door in the mud and snow, and were all over that
property.
The cops didn't want to hear about it, and we had to argue with them just to get them
to take the serial
numbers from all of the equipment for their report.
A couple days later, my roommate and I saw the neighbor and some other guys taking 3
huge console tv's ,
a couple of microwaves and lots of stereo gear to from their house to a van at 3:00
A.M. We called the
cops, who never came,( it took them almost a half hour to load up the van) and we
followed them to a
commercial building and watched them unload.
We reported all of this to the police, who did nothing.
I am a white male, the cops were all white males.
Hmm.....

Mike Nelson
Central