Mark Anderson Wrote:

"The focus of activity should be on mitigating the problems
of cars, mostly that of pollution and safety.  Safety (for those not in cars
at least) will be most enhanced by separating cars from neighborhoods, which
means more lanes of highway.  That should help get many cars out of the
neighborhoods.  When the highways are in gridlock, drivers take to
neighborhood streets."

I would argue that the problems associated with cars go far beyond just safety and
pollution, especially for inner city areas like Minneapolis.  Automobile users don't
begin to pay the costs associated with their road use.  There are direct costs such as
property, sales and income taxes that used to pay for streets and road.  There are
also huge indirect costs such as lost tax revenue from areas that were converted from
tax paying property to public roadways and decreased property values in areas adjacent
to high volume roadways.  These costs for regional transportation roadways are not
borne equally by all either.  The most heavily used roads - the "attractive
corridors", as MNDOT calls them, are all in the central city neighborhoods.  The calls
for increasing their capacity come from people who, by and large, don't live in the
city and won't have to suffer the indirect costs of taking even more land off the tax
rolls.

Realistically, I agree that cars are here to stay but that doesn't mean that the
transportation system we've built in the past 50 years is what will work well in the
next 50 years.  We need to think about what life will be like when the metro area has
double the population it does now and even more than double the number of cars.

Jim Young
Seward