I testified before the Ways and Means Committee Friday morning for the Park Board and told of the story from the Awards Ceremony about the volunteer who requested Air Conditioning be installed at Luxton Park and how it can't happen with all the budget cuts we have looming before us this year ( and years to come I presume).
Sandy Colvin Roy then responded with a remark about how we must all take our lumps That this year is the last year of the Minneapolis Awards - it is on the budget chopping block. That is a crying shame - there must be some way to acknowledge the great work of citizens in Minneapolis where it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Years ago the Awards ceremony was a large, well attended sit down dinner, sometimes held at International Market Square. The event has gotten sparse. Held at the Convention Center and serving cookies and punch - how much cheaper can it get? May I suggest hold it in a park (like Boom Island) at a different time of year but good grief - let us figure out how to continue this honoring ceremony.
So for the moment, David and Steven enjoy the glory - it may not happen again for a long time.
For the moment,
Annie Young
East Phillips