On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Alan Hooker wrote:

> Thus, what is so strange about someone being endorsed by the DFL (itself a
> fusion of 3 political groups circa 1940's) and the Green Party
> simultaneously?

It would be all one way. I believe the DFL has a rule forbidding
endorsement of other parties. Some Green locals have done so, to
widespread disapproval from many other Greens.

Given the DFL rule, the suggestion comes to, Hey, how about the GP
endorsing the DFL, standing down for the DFL, green-washing the DFL, for
zip zero nada in return. A very bad bargain that I as a Green will fight
inside the GP.

Fusion LESSENS choices. Should Dr Pepper yield to Pepsi and Coke? Are we
better off with fewer choices? Especially if the DFL thinks it can move to
the right and still get GP votes?

The suggestion comes close to saying, Hey, Greens, why don't you pack it
in and let the DFL & GOP run the show? (Even if they offer 90% of us less
and less every year)?

What we need are MANY voices parties viewpoints, to fit our varied
population, and then IRV to make it all work. Let EACH one of us decide
how to cast our second choices, for other parties. Why should anyone want
to narrow his/her choice to Coke or Pepsi?

--David Shove
Roseville

cast our second choice for another party.