Here are some answers to a recent post--
"B. Shoe" wrote to the list regarding Margo Ashmore:

1. What exactly is your real stand on the Cub Foods proposal?
I will listen to the community, including all stakeholders--neighborhood organizations, individuals, the NE Chamber of Commerce, NE CDC, and local businesses, churches throughout the area that would draw traffic to Central Avenue. The goal is to provide, on Central Avenue, the goods and services that will bring a crucial mass of people to the avenue to shop and play as well as work and live; for the community to be successful. Like many other propositions related to Central Avenue improvement, it is a complex issue that requires careful handling.

2. What is your view on the relationship of the NECDC to neighborhood groups?
I was elected to the NE CDC board of directors this autumn.  The NE CDC, less than a year old, is developing its working relationships with other stakeholders.  My contribution to the organization, so far, was organizing a board retreat which included basic information on what CDCs can do for the areas they serve. List readers should know that B. Shoe and I differ on how the public should be informed of a recent negotiation between the Holland Neighborhood and the CDC.

3. Given the current controversies regarding the CDC, is it a conflict
of interest to continue as a CDC board member while seeking a city
council office?
No conflict of interest is involved.  I requested an excused absence from the December board meeting which was held after I filed for office.

4.  If you win elected office, how would you handle the conflict of
interest of being an owner of the Northeaster with being our city
council representative?  Would you pledge to have you and your partner
permanently sever all ownership ties to the Northeaster before taking
office?
I have had no participation in the Northeaster and NorthNews since filing for office.  I had no foreknowledge of the one issue of the Northeaster that was published during this time including candidate ads, their placement, candidate inserts, and editorial page content.  The campaign is paying the same rates as everyone else.
If elected, I will serve on the City Council and my partner and the Northeaster/NorthNews staff will operate the newspapers. There are similar situations all over the state of MN and the key to handling the potential for conflict is the type of disclosure that has been observed in the newspaper.

5.  As Loki Anderson just asked of Don Samuels, if the redistricting
does go through, what would you do in 2005?
Assuming voter support, I will run for reelection in 2005.
For more on Margo Ashmore and the issues, see http://www.margoashmore.com.  Feel free to phone me at 612-867-4874.
On residency, see http://www.mnforum.org/pipermail/mpls/2002-December/019177.html.
Thank you for the opportunity to share this information with the list.

Margo Ashmore
3rd Ward City Council Candidate
Holland neighborhood resident