From: "Jim Mork" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 12:45 PM
Subject: [Mpls] NWA; Don Samuels;NRP

> NWA:
>
> Dave Brauer must not fly if he doesnt consider NWA a Minneapolis issue.
Man, if they fold, we will lose HALF our service.  And it will have severe
effect on the Minneapolis economy.  Much as I hate to say it, the city and
state have to act as though they care about NWA.  It was a stupid mistake to
let NWA acquire such a position of dominance, in the same sense that it is a
mistake to have a one-product economy.  But the reality right now is that we
let it happen, NWA is sickly, and we'd better think of how we can help
preserve the business.

> Don Samuels:
>
> Martin Sabo is a mainstream DFLer, just like Olin Moore. If you think you
can find some "self-made" immigrant who can do Sabo's job better than he has
done it, show me.  I don't know that much about Olin Moore, but the fact
that he has connections that Don Samuels doesnt have has got to be the
WEAKEST argument for supporting Don Samuels that I can think.  This city
needs all the connected it people it can get.  You don't wait till you're
sick to find a doctor, and you don't wait till you need connections to make
sure you have them.  A guy who understands the plight of the struggling is
not as valuable as a guy who can help ameliorate those struggles.  Thousands
of people have gotten paying jobs through Sabo's efforts over the years.
How many has Don Samuels helped employ?

> Make any choice you want, but at least think about the choices in a
realistic way.

> NRP:
>
> I shake my head at people who want to trash programs that have achieved
positive results.  What kind of results would the alternative scenario have
produced?  Don't trade something for nothing because you find the something
disappointing. That's like quitting your job without having another one.
However bad the job was, is nothing better?