I'm sure other list members saw in this morning's
Strib, Hamline will soon be establishing a presence on
south side of downtown Minneapolis.  Other education
oriented uses -- St. Thomas, the downtown school, the
technical college, etc. are already there.

Now that the central library project is on hold, I
propose we move the library project to a new site in
our rapidly growing "Education District."  The
benefits of siting the central library in the
Education District are obvious, ranging from
facilitating lifelong learning, to creating
opportunities for shared parking, to creating a real
"place" where people can come to learn.

Plus lets face the obvious, the past and proposed
future site of the library is horrendous; in my four
years of living in Minneapolis I never once visited
the downtown library.  It was just too much of a pain
in the rear to use, and there is nothing "fun" about
going to the area.

So the next question is, if we move the library to the
Education District, what do we do with the library
site?  Simple.  Move the Guthrie there.  That proposal
is also on hold, and it too is out of place on the
river.  Simply put, the Guthrie should be the anchor
to the Theater District.  Guthrie patrons could help
fill the restaurants and bars that are gradually
emptying due to a variety of factors, including the
Target Center's losing battle with Excel.

In sum, lets think seriously about moving the library
to the Education district, and the Guthrie to the
Theater District.  Nothing worth doing is easy, but
this move is so obvious, even I see it.

Dave Harstad
Whittier

http://platinum.yahoo.com

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.