T H E M I N N E A P O L I S O B S E R V E R
A Weekly Digest of All Things Minneapolitan
www.mplsobserver.com
Vol. 2, No. 44
June 23, 2003

This is a preview issue of The Observer. To subscribe ($12/yr.) just hit 'reply' and we'll set you up. Thanks.

THIS WEEK IN THE OBSERVER:
* Council Member Hints at Target Boycott
* NRP Money Is a Real Mystery
* State Auditor Shuts Down Southside Housing Agency
* City's First Gay Bookstore Closes
* Dunn Brothers Going National
* Former Council Member Will Lead League of Women Voters
Plus: Calling 911, arresting the President, a male beauty contest, letting Emilie read, weeding the lettuce, and drinking with the Shriners.

COUNCIL MEMBER HINTS AT TARGET BOYCOTT
Angered by Target's recent decision to close its North Minneapolis store, Fifth Ward council member Natalie Johnson Lee is hinting at a potential boycott of the retail giant's other stores.

Johnson Lee told Insight News (http://www.insightnews.com) that Target must accept some responsibility for the "economic hole" that will be left by the August 2 closing, and if the company doesn't, she may promote a boycott of the retailers 43 Twin Cities stores. "If the community does not shop from them until they rectify this problem, Target will not get my money--if they cannot support my community, then we cannot support them."

Johnson Lee also said she is investigating Target's claim that it contributes $2 million a week to local community projects. "We want to know how many dollars of that money was spent on the North Side of Minneapolis," she said. "We want them to double to triple their commitment if they are leaving."

NRP MONEY IS REALLY A MYSTERY
The future of the Neighborhood Revitalization Program (NRP) is up in the air partly because of legislative action at the state capitol, according to city officials, and partly because nobody seems to know how much money is in the fund that finances the program.

STATE AUDITOR SHUTS DOWN SOUTHSIDE HOUSING AGENCY
Citing "improper payments," the state auditor's office has shut down one of the city's largest nonprofit housing agencies.

CITY'S FIRST GAY BOOKSTORE CLOSES
A Brother's Touch, the city's first "devotedly gay and lesbian" bookstore, closed its doors last month after 20 years in business, reports Dylan Hicks in City Pages (http://www.citypages.com). A victim of chain bookstore dominance and the mainstreaming of gay culture, the store (one of only about 40 remaining in the country) had seen its sales sag in recent years as it lost its unique niche, said founder Harvey Hertz.

The Minneapolis Observer is published 48 times/year by Independent Media, L.L.C. ©2003 Independent Media, 4152 Snelling Ave., Minneapolis, MN 55406; www.mplsobserver.com. No part of this publication may be reprinted without the permission of Independent Media. Subscriptions: $12/yr. To unsubscribe, send us an e-mail ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) and we'll get you off the list and refund the unused portion of your subscription.
Editor: Craig Cox
Deputy Assistant Senior Executive Editor: Sharon Parker
Contributing writers: Chris Dodge, Leo Mezzrow
Equine consultant and coffee shop correspondent: Nora Cox
Perspective: Martin Cox

Fight media consolidation! Support the independent press! Pick up your neighborhood newspaper!