Terrell Brown says:  I think there is often a difference between a code
violation  and unsafe conditions.  Take Dyna's peeling paint.  Now I
haven't personally inspected Dyna's peeling paint, but I have seen
peeling paint that isn't really a hazard.  Peeling paint may not be
pleasing to the eyes and it may make it difficult to obtain property
insurance  but it isn't necessarily a hazard.  CM Zerby was on the tube
talking about "over occupancy".  I'm not convinced that an extra "U"
student or 2 necessarily creates a hazard and likely isn't "slum
conditions".  Are we going to apply the same standards to recent
immigrants that Zerby seems to want to apply to students at the "U"?  Was
this particular property cited for violations?  We've read of  how many
violations the property owner had, why do we read that but not what
properties were cited?  We certainly want housing to be safe.  I'm
curious as to why ATF showed up at the fire, was there something
suspicious as the newspaper article didn't say that arson was suspected
although it sounds like the fire spread very rapidly. Perhaps because of
the loss of life, CM Zerby engaged his mouth
 before he engaged his brain.There seem to be a whole lot of missing
pieces here, we need to fill some of them in before we start changing our
housing policies.

Peter Schmitz responds:  Great post, Terrell!!!   You've brought up  a
lot of good points.  I'm not sure that I see over occupancy as the
problem myself.  We Americans are used to living in more space, given our
relative affluence compared with the rest of the world.  Immigrants,
especially those from impoverished regions, are used to living in
conditions that others may consider crowded.

Also, the wildly vacillating housing market has forced landlords to allow
more occupants per unit.  This is especially true for landlords who
bought their buildings at a higher price in the late nineties, thinking
that the market was going to favor landlords for a long time to come.
Then, in no time at all, vacancy rates soared and it became a renter's
market, sort of that is.  On account of the additional burden of  higher
property taxes, the landlords I know cannot reduce their rent.  The only
thing they can do is allow more renters to share a unit.

As for peeling paint, it does have a negative ripple effect for neighbors
struggling to maintain and increase the property values of their own
homes.  Still, I suspect codes and regulations are enforced unevenly.
I've heard too many stories about people getting a citation after making
waves at their neighborhood block club meeting. And if Dyna's
relationship with the current guard at City Hall has been a stormy one,
then it wouldn't surprise me if she's the victim of retaliation, as much
as peeling paint on the outside of people's homes annoys me.

When I was doing some canvassing last year in the Longfellow neighborhood
I noticed a lot of homes that were in bad shape.  Not only did I see
peeling paint, but sinking front porches and rotting windows as well.
But given what the economy is I can understand that  home improvements
may not be the top priority for working-class families that are
struggling to make ends meet.

There are certainly lot of serious problems to be addressed in regard to
housing property, but no easy solutions given our rotten economy and the
flimsy safety net that our local, state and federal governments
provide.----Peter Schmitz   CARAG