Jeff has raised an interesting prospect.  People with credit problems have
problems obtaining housing therefore they should be punished by not being
allowed to make the same profits from housing as he or some others might.
Or they are punished by fate by not having the luck to find a situation such
as he found.  That is probably why Minneapolis needs to create a method of
"giving the luck" to poor people who fate just happened to slide on by.

The answer is to create a guaranteed loan program.  Instead of subsidies
simply guarantee the mortgage to 30 or 40%.  Most people that luck has dealt
an unlucky hand would then qualify.  Small downpayment equivalent to two
months rent and you are in.  No mortgage insurance and VERY low interest.
(And very low from present rates is low indeed).  At 2% or 3% interest some
people would qualify that would not at 6% or 7% on a lower mortgage amount.
Let most people who qualify for subsidized rent then qualify for a
guaranteed mortgage and BANG you have an economic boom. It is what happened
after the GI's came home after the big war and got a lower interest and no
downpayment because the government guaranteed 20% of the loan. The
difference is that a subsidy spends the money forever; a guaranteed loan
costs very little and allows the money to be used many times and always be
returned to the taxpayer's pot.  But Bill Cullen and others are correct;
such a program leaves less room for politicians to get donations or
baksheesh from special "Friends".

More people out of poverty, paying taxes, and spending disposable income
equals economic good times.  It means more housing construction and jobs for
the builders in our community.  NO, I do not mean the contractors and
developers I mean the sheetrockers, roofers, and other hammer swingers who
live in our community and need "affordable" workforce housing.

It does not make sense to pay tax dollars to "maintain" or keep people in
poverty when an even smaller amount of money could make those people
self-sufficient. A smaller investment in empowering people could take them
from poverty to middle class and make them tax payers rather than tax
burdens.  What a concept!

What is needed is not a land trust that siphons away the product of their
hard work and "Luck".  What is needed is a program to help them clean up
credit and succeed at home ownership.  We need a program for "Supportive
Homeownership" not "Supportive Poverty"!

Don't get me wrong those who need the poverty plantation may need
landtrusts, so I am in favor of it if they want it, but don't try to sell it
as a viable alternative to actual ownership of the home.  For me, I am
probably scarred by past childhood experience of poverty and living on
someone else's land.  Landtrusts smack too much of the sharecropper farms of
my childhood.  Sure it is your crop, but it's the MAN's land. So most of
your profit is going to the MAN.  Same with the share-houser landtrust.
Work as hard as you want on your house and improving your neighborhood, but
the Land Trust MAN is going to get most of the profits.

If the City wants to do a subsidy then subsidize the land and give it to the
affordable homeowner client after the house is built.  How is that different
for affordability than those $155,000 houses of Hope's landtrust? We KNOW a
housing unit can be built for that amount or less. This is not speculation,
but hard facts.  Only one example is Carolyn Olson's GMMHC program, which
builds very nice houses for less.

Jeff says, "(NOTE:  Before the City of Lakes
> Community Land Trust was formed, Hope Community knew that affordability
> would one day be lost on these units if not protected, so they wanted to
put
> them into the land trust so that the subsidy THEY raised for these units
> wouldn't be lost.)"
The "THEY raised" sounds almost like it is money out of their own pockets or
"raised" from private sources.  It is not!  It is money that taxpayer's
PAID!  The Hope land is NOT procured with private money, but from public
money.  So what is the advantage?  For Hope it is also to "Control" the land
on "their" block into the future, for the buyer paying $155,000 it is little
or no advantage in cost and a terrible disadvantage in their future.  If
they go into the proposition knowingly I am OK with that.  But they should
know their may be alternatives that give them more opportunities.

The true "hope" for the affordable property owner is to rise out of poverty
and make a better life for their family, lets give that opportunity when
ever possible.  Otherwise we maintain a system of indentured homeownership.
How many years do they need to work until they end the bondage? I have not
heard when the landtrust runs out and the land is finally owned by the
homeowner.

Jim Graham,
Ventura Village

Wise sayings
>"We can only be what we give ourselves the power to be"
- A Cherokee Feast of Days

>"The people are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our
 liberty."
- Thomas Jefferson