I was surprised by the discussions of the Superintendent of the Park Board.  I noticed
the letter from Lisa McDonald read by Commissioner Vivian Mason.  The central point of
the letter attempts to exclude from consideration the present Acting Superintendent.
Several speakers agreed with the letter.

Interesting, Nine months ago the selection process was criticized for hiring Mr.
Gurban when he did not apply during the process.  Now an attempt is being made to
force him not to apply.  Nine months ago the hiring of Gurban was criticized that the
process was violated. Yet, what kind of process for hiring a Superintendent begins by
excluding and threatening potential candidates for the office!

Remember, last year several very qualified candidates suddenly withdrew from
consideration.  I can see why they withdrew.  The Park Board needs to conduct
themselves in a more professional manner to make the selection process work.

There is a special meeting of the Commissioners this Wednesday forced by three
commissioners.  Is the intent of the meeting to continue the Personal attacks on Mr.
Gurban in order to force him not to apply?

I think some reasonable heads should take over the process.  I hope the President and
Vice President of the Park Board will calm the factionalism on the Board.  Personal
attacks and innuendoes against the Superintendent are inappropriate and taint the
process.

Tony Scallon
Longfellow