Rick Mons said: "This is the first I've read that the suburbs have social problems that are somehow transferred to the cities"

I think this refers to the fact that most suburban governments/constituents won't allow social services and affordable housing to be located in their cities through the use of zoning and other tools. Since displacement simply doesn't mean the problems go away, the services/affordable housing will be located in whatever cities will allow them which traditionally have been in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Consequently the people who need those services will live disproportionately in the city.

The fact is that there are only a handful of publicly funded drug treatment centers in the metro region, or half-way houses (like the one for registered sex offenders a few blocks from my home) and they are almost all in the central cities. Consequently that is where the people who use the services will be. Realistically its not like people who need social services somehow have a strong historical preference for urban areas. They have essentially been zoned out of living in most suburbs. So in that sense, the suburbs have transferred the problems.

Nick Frank
Elliot Park

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

REMINDERS:
1. Think a member has violated the rules? Email the list manager at [EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list. 2. Don't feed the troll! Ignore obvious flame-bait.