Barb Lickness

Said:

"By the way, NRP represents 1% of the total city budget. Seems like NRP has
been given the lions share of analysis and discussion regarding it's
worthiness. Perhaps a discussion about how the other 99% is being spent
might be productive.  "

Read a book once that suggests just that and I think fits the topic, a small
sample for you.

Excerpts from The Price of Government:" The first step is to turn the budget
process on its head, so that it starts with the results we demand and the
price we are willing to pay rather than the programs we have and the costs
they incur. The second is to build the budget by deciding to buy only those
programs that deliver the results we want and leave the rest behind.  Then
we must cut government down to its most effective size and shape, through
strategic reviews, consolidation, and rightsizing; use competition to
squeeze more value out of every tax dollar; make every program,
organization, and employee accountable for results; use technology to
empower customers and save money; and reform how government works on the
inside (its management systems and bureaucratic rules) to improve its
performance on the outside."

THE PRICE OF GOVERNMENT Getting the Results We Need in an Age of Permanent
Fiscal Crisis by David Osborne and Peter Hutchinson

Brian Hanf

Crystal