On Mar 2, 2005, at 10:39 PM, David Brauer wrote:

Notwithstanding Jim's water-bill situation, the city said late last year
that the average homeowner would pay $1.11 less each month with the new
storm water charge.

I have to side with Jim. I got my notice this week, too, and if the storm water replaces my sewer portion, the charge goes from $7 per month to $20, an increase in my total bill of 41%. I have a new driveway. When I bought the house, there was a huge mudhole, often up to a foot deep that filled up and eventually drained into the storm sewer because the parking area in front of the garage is sloped toward the alley (and that is true along the alley for the entire block). Putting in a driveway meant (a) my car didn't get stuck -- or swallowed up -- in the mud, and (b) instead of thick, muddy water running into the storm sewer, clear pure rainwater now runs into it. My yard does not drain to the alley, so no lawn chemicals or herbicides can find their way to the storm sewer from my lot. It seems to me that the driveway results in LESS contamination in the storm sewer. Surely rain draining over a clean asphalt driveway (there are no oil spills on my driveway) is better than a whole lot of mud draining into it. But the city must not see it that way in view of the 41% increase in my bill that I can look forward to.

Dottie Titus
Jordan Neighborhood