Pros: The project would do a lot to further justify transit in the Greenway. It would also really help other local business, which I would expect would create some new jobs. At $75 million it would help build the taxbase or ease pressure on existing properties. An overall increase in housing supply would also ease upward price pressures on existing properties. Contrary to some dissenters opionions, limiting the amount of housing put in the area (ie not approving more intense development) does more to increase prices than allowing the construction of additional market rate units.

Cons: It changes the character of a neighborhood, which by the way is changing (and has changed for the past 100 years) whether you approve the project or not.

Rant:
I Look at areas in east coast cities and they are a lot more connected and complete feeling. That is what bothers me when people talk about the character, we have so many gaps from parking lots and completely random assortments (architecturally speaking) of commercial and residential buildings that I am not sure what people are really trying to protect most of the time. This is being built on a parking lot after all. What are the opponents trying to preserve? The unique character of surface lots? It would be a very different argument if they were proposing knocking down architecturally significant structures or eliminating existing housing but that is not the case in this proposal.

Its a shame that we don't have politicians and residents with a vision to reinvent Minneapolis as a great urban area instead of keeping it a sleepy streetcar suburb. We live in a city. We don't get to just say "I want the neighborhood to stay the way it is circa 1992 and that's it." If people are really so opposed to the idea of tall buildings and people developing land in locations just blocks from the largest downtown in the four state area maybe they should either consider that this is not the environment they want to live in or buy up the property themselves so they can keep it as they prefer.

I'm not advocating that there should be no limitations on development simply that along commercial corridors (Lake and Hennepin) we should allow for high levels of density and instensity of use.

The common retort I hear is that if we (citizens of MPLS) all wanted to live in places that are dense like NY, Chicago, etc. we would've moved there. My response is that if they are right about what people really want, then the development won't be feasible and won't happen and they've got nothing to worry about.

Nick Frank
Elliot Park