Here's an issue I've been working on for a while with limited success:

After reading "North Side Story" in Citypages last fall, I became acutely
aware of the potential correlation between shoes on power lines and
nefarious activities including drug dealing.
http://citypages.com/databank/25/1238/article12400.asp

Beginning last fall, I started sending "Street Light Outage" reports to Xcel
whenever I spotted a pair of shoes on lines in our fair city. Since I live
in Cooper, my territory has generally been Longfellow, but I work in Eden
Prairie, so I cross our city on various West-East cross roads to mix things
up on the way home from work. When reporting shoes, I'd list the issue in
the comments field on the streetlight outage form.

Over the past 9 months, I've logged all my reports with Xcel Energy. As
first, the shoes came down within ~48 hours of reporting them at locations
like 46th and Lake (3 instances). However, I've had less luck getting shoes
removed from power lines outside of Longfellow:

First reported 3/28/2005 (Central):
Alley between 4th and 5th Ave S North of 31st St

First reported 3/28/2005 (Phillips):
Alley between 11th and 12th Ave at 28th St

When I first reported shoes in the above neighborhoods, Xcel called me (left
a voicemail) to tell me I should not be using the streetlight outage form to
report shoes on power lines. I've theorized as to why. Do they have separate
bucket trucks for tennis shoes? Was I screwing up someone's spreadsheet? Was
the crew sent out to remove the shoes intimidated by the neighborhood, thus
refusing to remove the shoes? They didn't elaborate.

Since then, I've called in reports to Xcel's customer support line (800)
895-4999. That takes up to 20 minutes of hold time, and a round of "I'm
calling about a pair of shoes hanging from the power lines" yapping that
could be handled with an online form.

I actually saw an Xcel Energy bucket truck in the lot below the shoes in
Central this evening a little before 7pm. I circled around the block,
thinking I'd see them in action, but only saw the rear of their truck
driving away and the shoes still there.

By the way, that's a great spot to pick up a hooker. I was approached while
taking this picture of the shoes with my phone on June 9th:
http://4factors.com/pics/graffiti/31st4th5th_09Jun05.jpg

And while taking this one on June 22nd:
http://4factors.com/pics/graffiti/Picture226_22Jun05.jpg

But not on the 24th (but the shoes where still there, and they're there
tonight):
http://www.4factors.com/pics/graffiti/shoes_24Jun05.jpg

I've tried working with my community service officer on this issue, but with
no luck, and have recently contacted Robert Lilligren about this (last
Friday, so I can't really hold him accountable for this yet.)

That's the history.

I'm looking for ideas on:

1. How to get the shoes down
2. How to get Xcel to respond with the same regularity I've seen in
Longfellow
3. Who's truly responsible for what's hanging from the power lines? What's
the process for dealing with them?
4. Does anyone know of a more efficient process for getting the shoes down?

Thanks.

- Ed Kohler

Cooper